A student in English Pronunciation class asked how to make “can” and “can’t” different, because when she hears Americans use these words it’s hard to tell them apart! Sometimes you hear the T on “can’t”, but not always. There is an easier way to know the difference:
When we use “can” (affirmative), the vowel often gets reduced, and sounds like “kin” or “kun”.
But with “can’t” (negative), the vowel never gets reduced. It always sounds like a short A sound.
“I can [kin] do it.” “Can [kin] you call me?” “We can [kin] go.”
“I can’t [kant] do it.” “Can’t [kant] you call me?” “We can’t [kant] go.”
Classes start September 12th. We’ll have 8 classes this year at WestGate South Hills Church, Mondays 9:30-11:30am 6601 Camden Avenue, San Jose CA 95120. Free child care available. Intermediate and advanced students may choose the Literacy class, or the Pronunciation class. Printable list of classes here.
List of ESL Classes 2016-2017
WestGate South Hills
Beginning ESL Class 1
Beginning ESL Class 2
- Students learn beginning vocabulary, grammar, conversation and American culture
Intermediate ESL Class 1
Intermediate ESL Class 2
- Students learn intermediate vocabulary, grammar, conversation and American culture
Advanced ESL Class 1
Advanced ESL Class 2
- Students learn advanced vocabulary, grammar, conversation and American culture
English Pronunciation Class – speaking/listening
- English Pronunciation is for improving English speaking, as well as understanding American English speakers better.
- Intermediate 2 and Advanced 1 & 2 ESL students are eligible.
- Students will listen and speak using American English sounds, rhythm, intonation, linking and reductions. They will improve pronunciation through modeling and repetition.
English Literacy Class – reading/writing
- English Literacy is for improving English reading and writing.
- Intermediate 2 and Advanced 1 & 2 ESL students are eligible. Students should be proficient in listening to and speaking English.
- Students will read, discuss reading, increase vocabulary, and improve spelling and grammar through writing.
ESL Classes start Monday, September 12th. No need to preregister! Just show up on Monday. Pay your $10 and fill out your registration form. Click here to get your registration form now in English or Spanish and fill it out, so you’re ready to go on Monday! Or we’ll have blank forms at the registration table.
9:30-11:30 am Monday, September 12, 2016.
6601 Camden Avenue, San Jose, CA 95120